Carpio: ‘Filipinos should be deeply thankful’ to countries rejecting China’s South China Sea claims

 

Carpio: ‘Filipinos should be deeply thankful’ to countries rejecting China’s South China Sea claims


MANILA, Philippines — Filipinos should be grateful to countries supporting the 2016 arbitral award that invalidated China’s expansive South China Sea claims, retired Supreme Court senior associate justice Antonio Carpio said Friday (Sept. 18).

Carpio was commenting on the recently filed joint note verbale of the United Kingdom, France, and Germany before the United Nations in New York, rejecting China’s sweeping claims over the South China Sea.

“France, Germany and the United Kingdom also highlight that claims with regard to the exercise of ‘historic rights’ over the South China Sea waters do not comply with international law and UNCLOS (United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea) provisions and recall that the arbitral award in the Philippines v. China case dating to 12 July 2016 clearly confirms this point,” the joint note verbale said.

Other countries like the U.S. and Australia have earlier expressed strong support to the arbitral award.

China’s mythical nine-dash line in the South China Sea had been rejected as illegal and without a basis in 2016 by the Permanent Arbitration Court in a case filed by the Philippines.

“The Filipino people should be deeply thankful to these countries for supporting the arbitral award and ensuring that the rule of law will prevail in the oceans and seas of our planet,” Carpio said in a statement.

He said the joint note verbale filed by the three countries “serves as a warning to China that it cannot draw straight baselines around distant offshore islands or archipelagos since China is not an archipelagic state.”

The three countries also emphasized the importance of the unhampered exercise of the freedom of the high seas, which Carpio said should be welcomed by Filipinos, as it meant “that there are high seas, and exclusive economic zones of coastal states in the South China Sea, effectively debunking China’s claims to historic rights to the South China Sea.”

Get in Touch

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related Articles

Duterte invokes court ruling against China in UN address

 Duterte invokes court ruling against China in UN address  Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte went on the offensive over the South China Sea on Wednesday,...

Over 60 wealthy nations join WHO’s COVID-19 vaccine plan

  Over 60 wealthy nations join WHO's COVID-19 vaccine plan GENEVA - More than 60 wealthy nations have joined a WHO-backed program to facilitate poor countries'...

Facebook Has Been a Disaster for the World

 Facebook Has Been a Disaster for the World How much longer are we going to allow its platform to foment hatred and undermine democracy? For years,...

Get in Touch

20,831FansLike
2,404FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Latest Posts

Duterte invokes court ruling against China in UN address

 Duterte invokes court ruling against China in UN address  Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte went on the offensive over the South China Sea on Wednesday,...

Over 60 wealthy nations join WHO’s COVID-19 vaccine plan

  Over 60 wealthy nations join WHO's COVID-19 vaccine plan GENEVA - More than 60 wealthy nations have joined a WHO-backed program to facilitate poor countries'...

Facebook Has Been a Disaster for the World

 Facebook Has Been a Disaster for the World How much longer are we going to allow its platform to foment hatred and undermine democracy? For years,...

Nearly 4,000 more COVID-19 cases raise PH tally to 283,460

 Nearly 4,000 more COVID-19 cases raise PH tally to 283,460 manila, philippinesThe Department of Health reports 3,962 COVID-19 cases, along with 100 deaths and 1,128...

Duterte extends Philippines’ COVID-19 state of calamity by one year

    Duterte extends Philippines' COVID-19 state of calamity by one year     President Rodrigo Duterte has extended for one year the state of calamity in the country...